The English Language Arts program at St. Edward, the Confessor School, enables students to become effective communicators, analytical readers and builds a literacy foundation, which is essential to every educational endeavor. This program reflects the current New York State Learning Standards, which include reading, writing, listening, speaking, literary response, written expression and critical thinking skills. It is a developmental program beginning in pre- kindergarten and progressing through eighth grade. Learning is further enhanced through the use of technology and various information resources.
Goals: At the end of eight years of study, the student will:
- Know how language works, and understand different levels of usage.
- Express his or her written and oral ideas using accepted standards of the English language.
- Apply language arts skills in subjects across the curriculum.
- Listen in order to follow directions as well as to gather and analyze information.
- Use in speaking and writing to acquire and convey information.
- Appreciate a variety of literary styles and genres and relate to personal knowledge and experience.
- Interpret and analyze the written message.
- Evaluate media message within the framework of Christian morality.
- Research using a variety of sources in printed and electronic form and report appropriate information in an acceptable format.
- Study Skills